|Rules & Regs ---> Arena Polo Rules --->Scoring
- A goal counts as one point.
- In order to score a goal, the ball must hit the back-board within the goal
area. Note that the arena polo goal has a specific height limitation, whereas the
outdoor goal extends to an indefinite height. These rules presume a recessed
goal such as discussed in Rule 1a.ii).
- Where play is stopped in the belief that a goal has been scored, and it is
subsequently ruled that no goal has been scored, play shall be resumed by
a throw in at the 15 yard mark with the nearer goal to the Umpire’s right.
- Goals awarded by Handicap or Penalty shall count as goals scored.
- The team which scored the most goals shall win the game.
- After a goal is scored the ‘defending team’ has the next play. The attacking
side must be 5 yards away from the ball until such time as the ‘defending
team’ has hit or hit at the ball. If the defending team then fail to make a play
within 5 seconds, the umpire will blow his whistle and throw the ball in on
the 15 yard line.
- If a goal is scored at approximately the same time as a foul is called :-
- The goal will be disallowed if the foul was against the attacking side
and the foul was confirmed.
- The goal will be allowed if the foul was against the attacking side and
the foul is over-ruled, or if the foul was against the defending side
whether or not the foul is confirmed.
- If a goal is scored at approximately the same time as the whistle
blows for a time out (officials or players) the goal shall be counted
and play resumed. The Umpire shall have the discretion of
determining whether or not the defender could have stopped the
goal and therefore have the goal counted or not.
Once the mounted umpire has signalled that a goal has been scored, it may
not be disputed by either side. However, if he is ‘unsighted’ he may blow
the whistle and confer with the second umpire. If a goal is subsequently
awarded, the attacking side will restart the game with a 15 yard hit central
to goal and play will be continuous as soon as the ball is hit or hit at. All
defenders to be 5 yards from the ball when it is hit or hit at.
If a goal is not awarded the game will be restarted with a throw in on the
15 yard line. The defended goal shall be on the umpire’s right.